Monday, April 23, 2012

Homemade Chicken Nuggets

My kids love chicken nuggets.  What kid doesn't?  The problem is that most of what you can buy in the store is not purely chicken breast.  I have made chicken tenders before just by breading chicken pieces and baking them.  The recipe on the Bisquick box is pretty good.  I found this recipe that caught my eye. She grinds up the chicken breast  in the food processor and then molds them and fries them.  (Fry, I know.  Gonna try baking them next time)  But they are a lot easier to chew for the little ones.

So here are the ingredients: 
4 chicken breasts, 2 eggs, beaten, 1 cup whole wheat flour, 1 1/2 tsp. salt, 1 tsp. onion powder, 1/2 tsp. oregano, 1/2 tsp. parsley and 1/4 tsp. cayenne

 I got 38 nuggets out of 4 chicken breasts.  I haven't calculated the exact cost yet.

They were delicious!  We ate a bunch and I froze the rest.  I'll bake them at 350 for 20 minutes.  I LOVE easy lunches that also make the kids happy, are healthy, AND are easy on the pocketbook.  It's a win-win-win-win!!! :)

2 comments:

Jordan said...

Cool! I have a coconut chicken nuggets recipe where you grind the chicken, now I'm ready to try it, thanks for the inspiration, Kit!

Anne said...

Can't wait to try this. And to Shannon, please share that recipe it sounds delicious!